Thursday, June 10, 2010

Things that make me happy v.2

When I would get really anxious during our wait for a referral it helped to focus on other little things that put me in a good mood. As the wait for a court date gets harder and harder, I decided to do the same thing. I need to make an effort to think about other positive things rather than worrying about the two trips, wondering when we’ll get our court date and how I am sad that we won’t be with our boy for his 5 month birthday next week. Sigh.

So here we go with version 2 of things that make me happy (in no particular order).

1. I made a dress. Yep, this domestically challenged gal made a dress. Okay, so Jen helped me but I actually did a lot of it. I still need to make straps but I am pretty pleased with my first attempt. I think the last time I used a sewing machine was in 7th grade Home Ec. and I made a locker organizer. I remember that locker organizer very well. It was navy and had red, yellow and green pockets. I like this dress a lot more than my locker organizer. As I left for the craft night benefit, I don't think Damon actually believed that I would come home with dress. I am sure he imagined me arriving there and getting lured in by the wine, good conversation and snacks and never actually making a dress. He had already gone to bed when I got home that night and when he woke up in the morning he said with a very surprised tone, "you made a dress." Hello. That was my intention. I had a hard time getting a good picture of it but you get the idea. I am quite pleased with myself.

2. I am going to Tulsa this weekend to spend time with my family and see some friends. My mom has a fun weekend planned and I can’t wait!

3. The World Cup starts this weekend in South Africa! I wish that soccer were as big here in the US as it is in other parts of the world. I love the idea of the whole country coming to a stand still to watch a soccer game. Maybe someday that will happen here. Of course this year there is the added benefit that it is in Africa. If this video doesn’t get you psyched to watch some soccer then I don’t know what will.

4. Okay, don’t make fun of me for this one. But can you tell what this is?

We get a free bag of dog food!! It’s the little things. We feed our dog the Cadillac version of dog food so it can be pricey. This little card will get us a free 35lb bag of food for our little girl. Free makes me happy!

5. My friend Katie made this painting for us. The blue in the star part of the flag works perfectly with the blue that Damon just painted in our nursery. I smile every time I look at. I will be forever touched that she made this.

6. As you know, I can’t post pics of our boy online so I had Damon help me put a little heart over his face so I could share this with you. This is a still of the video from Heidi as she is giving him our photo album. I am so glad that our pictures are in his crib. It is like we are watching over him in spirit. I know you can’t see his face but can’t you tell he is just a cutie?! Don’t you want to wrap your hands around that little belly? Maybe, that is just me. This picture makes me beyond happy!


13 comments:

  1. That is a LOT of things to make you happy, but especially that last little cutie. So precious to see him with your picture! And the dress?! I am impressed! Does that mean you used elastic thread on the top part where all the shirring is? I've been wanting to try that myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go on the dress!

    And YES...your baby is such a cutie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great list! i'm impressed by the dress!!!! oh i just want to pick your little one up and squeeze him!!!! i can't wait for you to be able to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the dress! You are becoming quite the domestic goddess! Hee hee. :)

    And YAY for the World Cup! I'm attending a bash for the US vs England game tomorrow. I also wish futbol was bigger here. It's the #1 sport in the world, and I plan on watching many games. :)

    Such a cute photo of your boy. Wow. I can't wait to see you and Damon holding him. :)

    Safe travels to Tulsa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dress is awesome! I love it. And the painting by your friend is perfect. I can't wait to see what's behind that little heart in the photo - here's hoping for a court date very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also meant to add that your friend, Katie, did a fantastic job on the painting! What a neat gift!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! The dress, the video, the painting and of course your little boy :) Yes, I want to pick him up & squeeze him too!!!
    Hoping for a speedy court date!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are doing so well. pamper yourself and explore and talk walks and dream. it's the only way to get through it. so impressed by the dress and am so happy that heidi got to me your sweet boy and tell him all about his lovely mama and papa. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm lovin' World Cup too! :)
    EVERY pub in my neighborhood has suddenly turned into a sports bar. SO GREAT.
    I love the dress. And of course FREE dogfood made the list. ha.
    NOW COME ON COURT DATE. That pic cracked me up with the heart over little man's face but just the idea that that is HIM looking at (pictures) YOU, oh my, made me cry happy tears.
    Did I say COME ON COURT DATE YET?

    ReplyDelete
  10. So impressed with the dress. Glad that you have family and the World Cup to distract you from this very difficult stage of the wait, and super glad that I was able to take pictures/video of your little man for you! I hope that court date comes soon, Em! Hang in there, Sweetie. This is the hardest part but it will all be over hopefully very soon...

    ReplyDelete
  11. omg. you made a dress. this is big news. Next thing I know you'll be baking cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post and I LOVE your labels - trying to be zen and my boy are my favorites. Can't wait to see pics and such from this weekend. I've thought of you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just looked at the FBI list for the first time in a long time. You are SO next for a court date!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete