No news. Oh well. With each passing day we have to be getting closer and closer. For about the past week or so before we go to bed either Damon or I will say, “Maybe tomorrow.” On the surface it may sound a little depressing but I actually think it is just the opposite. It is all about hope. Tomorrow is still a real possibility. I do get bummed around 6pm each day because I assume if the call hasn’t come by 6pm then the hope for that day is gone. But when we go to bed the hope for tomorrow starts all over again.
A little over a year ago, I read a book that my mom and sister recommended, A Hope in the Unseen by Ron Suskind. The author followed one student, Cedric Benson, for several years and chronicled Cedric’s life in the inner city as he tries to make the best of one of the worst public school systems in the US. I won’t ruin it for you but if you read the back of the book you do learn that Cedric perseveres and makes his way to Brown University. The title of the book is based on a conversation he had with a particular teacher in his high school. This teacher pushed and encouraged him to dream big despite the obvious obstacles. Here is the conversation:
"Hebrews 11:1," says Mr. Taylor. "The substance of faith is a hope in the unseen."
"NO. Wrong--you messed it!" Cedric laughs. "It goes 'Faith, the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Man, Mr. Taylor, you always getting 'em wrong."
... Then he turns the botched line over in his head and hears his giggle echo through the empty hallway. A hope in the unseen. Sort of a pocket-sized version of the original, and not really a religious phrase he decides, but one you can definitely take with you. [pp.49-50, Broadway Books, 2005]
This is really what our journey to parenthood has been about as well. It has been a hope in the very much unseen. Nothing concrete has happened over the past few years that would lead me to say with certainty that I will be a mother. All I have had to cling to was hope and faith that this mystic thing called motherhood would actually be achieved. I have dreamed about this face that I can’t see and cheeks that I can’t squeeze and a belly that I can’t give raspberry kisses to but there is hope that someday all those things COULD happen. I haven’t lost sight of that.
Maybe tomorrow or the day after tomorrow or...
you are always getting one day closer and then it will just be and the rest will be fuzzy in this weird way. we are all so anxious to know who this little person is going to be. we are ready to celebrate. we're waiting and hoping the same thing ... maybe tomorrow. big hugs to you both!
ReplyDeleteOh Emily, you are so lovely. I'm so glad we're friends. Maybe tomorrow! love love love to you!
ReplyDeleteyou're closer now than ever! praying it IS tomorrow!
ReplyDeleteI used that phrase quite a bit until last week. Maybe tomorrow! Two days still left in the week :)
ReplyDeleteWow, I loved this post so much!
ReplyDeleteI prayed today that we could travel together to Addis. I would just love to hang out with you in person!
such a terrific post, EB!You are definitely not a Blustering Baxter (Astrid calls that Emily's boy, btw...)
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely post. I have read that book as well...amazing story. I am always amazed at how hope just keeps on renewing itself each day. It's coming so soon!!! Can't wait to hear the good news!!! XOXOXOXOXO
ReplyDeleteI need to pick up that book. It sounds wonderful. And I love the quote. Beautiful.
ReplyDeleteYou have every reason to hope in today. Every day that passes is another day that brings you closer. :)
That book sounds amazing. Thanks for sharing it with us.
ReplyDeleteHang in there. It must be so hard to be so close and still be waiting. It will happen soon. ((HUGS))
We love you. Thinking of you with each passing day!
ReplyDeleteHi Em. I love this post. You are so close! Maybe today . . . we shall see?
ReplyDeleteBeautiful post, Em. Maybe TODAY!
ReplyDeleteI want to give you a big fat hug after reading this post. How absolutely lovely! Your day IS coming and just think, next year around this time when Mother's Day rolls around - we are all in it!!!
ReplyDeleteXOXO
Oh, come on!! Get the call already! :) This is the worst part. You know you're near the end of waiting but the phone isn't ringing. I can remember sitting at work and feeling so crazy (which, honestly is a new emotion for me - sadly, I'm pretty lackadaisical for the most part). I remember feeling like my insides were going to jump out of my skin if I didn't get the call SOON. Hoping your handling it a little better :) Here's to you guys - and the phone ringing!!
ReplyDeleteYou are so close. I know it is hard to hear/believe but it will happen. Anyday now.
ReplyDeleteLove this post!!! Hoping next week is filled with referrals:) Your call is coming!
ReplyDeleteIt makes me dizzy seeing you so high up on the FBI list! Our call came on a Monday around 12:30...
ReplyDeleteLove your post as well. I am officially stalking your blog, as we are right behind you! Hoping that we both will see our sweet babies' faces very soon :-)
ReplyDeleteEvery time the phone rings my heart is hoping to see Gladney's number! For you all, for sure, the call must be right around the corner. Hang in there!
ReplyDelete