We Shall Overcome
derived from a gospel song by Reverend Charles Tindley
We shall overcome
We shall overcome
We shall overcome some day
Oh, deep in my heart
I do believe
We shall overcome some day
We'll walk hand in hand
We'll walk hand in hand
We'll walk hand in hand some day
We shall all be free
We shall all be free
We shall all be free some day
We are not afraid
We are not afraid
We are not afraid some day
We are not alone
We are not alone
We are not alone some day
The whole wide world around
The whole wide world around
The whole wide world around some day
Oh, deep in my heart
I do believe
We shall overcome some day
We shall overcome
We shall overcome
We shall overcome some day
I went to a very diverse high school and consider myself very lucky. Although as a typical, self-absorbed teenager I know that I mostly took it for granted. The student population was roughly fifty percent African-American and fifty percent white/other. I have very vivid memories of going to one of the older theatres downtown on MLK Jr. Day and singing We Shall Overcome. All of us would stand and hold hands. Thinking about it brings tears to my eyes. Powerful stuff.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” Martin Luther King, Jr.
My prayer is that we can all find ways to be part of the light and love.
Beautiful :)
ReplyDeleteI totally remember our trips to the Brady! And someone would always perform the "I Have a Dream" speech. :)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful. And how lucky to have attended such a diverse school. I attended an all white, small school, and as soon as I graduated, I couldn't wait to move to the city to get some diversity in my life.
ReplyDeleteHope you are having a great day. :-D
Yes, beautiful.
ReplyDeleteWow! You were really blessed to go to such a diverse high school! What an amazing memory of singing that song together. And, yes, may light and love be powerful forces in our hearts and in the world!
ReplyDelete