Wednesday, June 1, 2011

First Haircut

On Saturday LB got his first haircut. D and I had been saying for a while it needed to be done but we hadn't really made any firm plans to do something about it. He has these great, tight curls and he would get a lot of compliments on his hair. I was not eager to cut those sweet curls but it is getting hot around here and I knew he would feel better with more of a summer cut. When we woke up Saturday morning it was definitely not on our list of things to do that day. That afternoon we went to a birthday party for D's boss. It was super hot and even though I used leave-in conditioner on LB's hair to keep his curls tight his hair was a mess by the end of the day. It didn't help that he had been wearing a hat for part of the day as well. Also, we had some chats about his hair with D's co-worker, who is Ethiopian. He and D have been working together for about 10 years! He was so supportive of our adoption and even told D that they are "family now" since our son is Ethiopian. Well, he felt like D and I really needed to cut LB's hair. He was pretty insistent. As we were leaving the last thing he said was, "cut his hair!" We got home and I still didn't think we were cutting his hair that day until D came walking down the stairs with scissors. I am a little embarrassed to admit this but I did shed a few tears. I knew LB would look so much more grown up with shorter hair. We opted to use scissors instead of shears because we were worried the noise of the shears would cause a meltdown. I think that was the right call because LB kept his composure for most of the ordeal except for the very end when D was trying to cut around his ears. Using scissors did mean that D missed several spots so on Sunday and then again on Monday he had to do a little touching up. The next day I was still really sad and not really loving his new look but it has grown on me. Through my tears I did manage to take a few photos of the process.

Before
Damon picked Ezra's hair out a bit to make it easier to cut.
LB was still feeling good at this point and was just very curious.


Goodbye Curls

Most of the hair was gone at this point and LB was ready to be done.


After
This was taken at the Memorial Day Parade on Monday.

What do you think? I am glad we did it and I think he is too!

11 comments:

  1. It looks great! And Damon was very brave to do it himeself! I didn't trust T or I so we went to a barber shop. It definitely ages little boys, doesn't it? But it looks so nice and will definitely be more practical in the summer heat. :)
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think nebulous just adorable! We had to have the top of Levi's hair cut down at 6 months because it was so unmanageable and he would cry to have it brushed. As his first birthday approaches I don't want to shave it down, ( as is typical with his hair type) I want to get it cut down with scissors and put moisturizer in it. My friend who is AA, like me, and a hair stylist told me not to get it lined right now because it would mess up his hair line. So, I am hoping for Levi's hair to look something like Ezra's when we cut it. (after he is one)
    Do you put moisturizer in his hair? We have had issues finding the right one because he breaks out. But, we know he has to have it.
    Anyway, like I said Ezra's hair came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry! Typing on my phone. That first sentence should say "I think he looks adorable!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. He looks adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang, that kid is cute. Cute, cute, cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He just gets cuter. Geez. Please tell me you kept those curls? By the way, we have to buzz E's hair every 3 weeks and he STILL HATES it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He looks so handsome! Great job!

    We took Jeremy in twice for haircuts, but recently I thought, "I think I can do it!" So I cut his hair last time, and I'm glad I did it, too. We haven't cute Zach's hair yet, but when we do, I think I'll probably do it at home as well. Did you keep the curls from his first haircut?

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. It does make them look so big - but he looks like a little man now, and I think it's pretty stinkin adorable! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. he looks like a big boy, but still baby Ezra! As cute as ever!

    ReplyDelete